CHICAGO, Nov. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- As part of BMO Harris Bank's ongoing commitment to financial literacy and Helping Make Money Make Sense, BMO Harris is providing weekly financial tips. This week's tip provides recommendations on how to prioritize your debt.
Is all debt created equal? At BMO Harris Bank, we don't think so. In order to pay down debt faster while paying the least amount of interest, you'll need to prioritize some debt over others.
Although you'll ultimately want to pay off all of your debts, being strategic about which ones you pay off first can save a significant amount of money, potentially hundreds or thousands of dollars.
Here's how we recommend you prioritize paying down debt:
- Credit Card Debt – Credit cards are a convenient form of payment, but chances are this is your most expensive debt, which is why it's so important that you pay it off as quickly as possible. If you carry a balance on more than one credit card, first pay off the one that charges the highest interest rate.
- Mortgage Loan – If you own a home, this is likely the largest debt you carry; however, it's usually at a lower interest rate. Paying off your mortgage sooner rather than later can also save you thousands in interest. Paying extra each month, making an additional payment every few months, or splitting your monthly mortgage into bi-monthly payments are all ways you can pay down your loan faster.
- Auto Loan – Similar to a mortgage loan, auto loans typically charge lower interest rates. And, like mortgage loans, you can potentially save a significant amount in interest by paying off the loan faster.
- Student Loans – Although it depends on what type of student loans you have, interest rates are generally low and there are several types of repayment options. It's important to pay these loans on time each month to help build your credit.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV