With four furniture stores in Toronto and more than 40 years of experience, Arrow Furniture is dedicated to shopping the world over to bring customers the best traditional and contemporary furnishings. The retailer recently selected energy-efficient LED lamps from GE Lighting to replace halogen bulbs in its stores. After all installations are finished early next year, Arrow will stand to save $23,000 annually as the result of using 232,000 fewer kilowatt hours (kWhs) of electricity to illuminate its locations.
GE's LED retail lighting solution emphasized the true color of merchandise better than competing lamps according to store management. (Photo: General Electric)
“We looked at different types of energy-saving lighting including LED options for about three years,” said Israel Adud, operations manager for Arrow Furniture. “Many products were offered to us but none of the bulbs were sufficient to light the merchandise on the floor.”
Toronto-based distributor Mercor Lighting introduced Adud to a new LED lamp from GE Lighting. GE’s LED Retail PAR38 lamp consumes just 17 watts of electricity compared to the 90 watts used by Arrow Furniture’s old halogen bulbs. More important, the lamps’ light output, color consistency and uniformity met Adud’s exacting standards for in-store illumination.
With assistance from Mercor, Arrow Furniture has already retrofit 345 LED PAR38 lamps at one of its Greater Toronto Area (GTA) stores. Installations at a second same-size location, as well as two larger stores housing 550 fixtures each, are to be completed by spring 2013.Arrow Furniture’s smaller stores will each reduce their annual electricity use by 44,746 kWhs thanks to the new lighting, a nearly $4,500 savings based on 12 hours of operation a day and $.10 kWh rate. The company’s larger stores, meanwhile, will save approximately 71,000 kWhs and $7,100 each.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV