When Havertys Furniture evaluated its lighting portfolio across all 122 of its locations, the Southeast-region retailer wanted a solution that would benefit more than just its bottom line. The technology, performance and aesthetics of GE’s 14-watt LED Retail PAR38 lamps inspired Havertys to use GE products to retrofit existing stores and for new construction moving forward. The switch will mean an average $22,300 lighting cost savings per store per year (based on a $.10 kWh rate and 4,000 hours of operation) or $2.2 million company-wide.
“Our goal was to save money and be good stewards by reducing our energy footprint,” said Glenn Boone, director of construction and design for Havertys. “GE’s lamps were an important ingredient in our equation.”
Currently among stores retrofit with GE’s LED lighting, Havertys reports an average 25-35 percent energy reduction—its Austin, Texas location alone seeing a more than 40 percent decrease.
To date, Havertys has purchased 10,000 LED Retail PAR38 lamps, with an additional 5,500 scheduled for delivery. All of its locations are expected to be completed by 2015. The average store houses 734 fixtures fit with 90-watt halogen lamps, each costing $36 to operate annually. By comparison, each GE 14-watt LED lamp will cost only $5.60 to power for a year. This amounts to a $22,300 savings per store per year, or eventual $2.2 million cost benefit when all installations are complete.The design and technology of GE’s PAR38 lamp was also a major selling point for Havertys. It was important that the LED diodes would not be visible on the lamps, and so the Visual Comfort Lens™ of GE’s retail lighting product was, in their words, “a game-changer.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV