BC-Business News Digest
â¿¿ RETAIL SALES â¿¿ Major retailers such as Kohl's, Target and Macy's are reporting weak sales in November as a strong Thanksgiving weekend wasn't enough to fully offset a slow start to the month caused by Superstorm Sandy.
NEW YORK â¿¿ Small business owners eagerly looked forward to the presidential election to get some clarity on many issues â¿¿ most notably what would happen with health care since candidate Romney promised to dismantle it. With President Barack Obama the victor, about the only thing that is certain is that by 2014, many small companies are going to have to provide health care, or pay a penalty. Now small business owners are weighing possibilities that range from adding surcharges to customer bills to pay for insurance to flouting the law entirely. By Joyce M. Rosenberg.
AP photo.â¿¿ SMALLBIZ-ENTREPRENEURSHIP â¿¿ Researchers at two colleges say slow improvement in the economy boosted entrepreneurship last year. OF MUTUAL INTEREST-INVESTOR OUTLOOK, Q&A It's not all about the "fiscal cliff." That's a refreshing sentiment while stock markets are being held in thrall by every comment from lawmakers in Washington on the state of budget negotiations. If no deal on the budget is reached by the end of the year, huge tax increases and spending cuts will come into effect Jan. 1. Economists say those measures could push the U.S. back into recession. Yet Bill Stromberg, director of global equity and global equity research at Baltimore, Md.-based T. Rowe Price Group, says that the "cliff" shouldn't be investors' main focus. By Business Writer Steve Rothwell. With: â¿¿ FISCAL CLIFF â¿¿ For the first time since the Nov. 6 election, partisan bickering trumps bargaining as Democrats and Republicans vie for the political high ground in talks to avoid year-end tax increases and spending cuts that threaten harm to middle class pocketbooks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV