WHITEHOUSE STATION, N.J., Nov. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Every few seconds, in every corner of the globe, a mother welcomes a baby into the world. A recent U.S. online survey conducted by Harris Interactive on behalf of Merck (NYSE: MRK), known as MSD outside the United States and Canada, among 2,282 adults aged 18 and up showed that nearly every parent (93 percent) characterizes this moment as "life-changing." However, what is not often discussed is that childbirth can be a very dangerous time. According to the World Health Organization, every two minutes somewhere in the world a woman dies during pregnancy or childbirth. This obviously has a devastating impact on a family and their community.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/58928-merck-maternal-health-awareness-once-upon-a-birth-melissa-joan-hart
To address this global crisis – known as maternal mortality – Merck, a global healthcare company, developed Merck for Mothers, a 10-year, $500 million initiative to help create a world where no woman has to die giving life. Merck for Mothers is proud to collaborate with actress and mother of three Melissa Joan Hart to launch "Once Upon a Birth," a campaign designed to raise awareness of maternal mortality in the United States."I was lucky to have had three healthy pregnancies and deliveries with great medical care. I now know that this is not always the case, even for women here in the U.S. I was surprised and saddened to learn that, despite medical advancements, each day 800 women around the world die during pregnancy or childbirth," said Melissa Joan Hart. "As a mother, I'm passionate about this issue, and I was excited to share the story of the day my new son, Tucker, was born on Merck for Mothers Facebook page." Today, exposure to, and awareness of, maternal mortality is extremely low in the U.S.:
- In the past 12 months, only 11 percent of U.S. adults have read, seen or heard anything about the issue.
- Nearly half (46 percent) of U.S. adults do not know that maternal mortality impacts women here in the U.S.
- And, most U.S. adults are unable to identify the leading causes of maternal mortality – postpartum hemorrhaging (59 percent were not aware this is a leading cause) and preeclampsia (66 percent were not aware this is a leading cause).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV