RALEIGH, N.C., Nov. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Progress Energy Carolinas residential customers in North Carolina will pay slightly less for electricity beginning Dec. 1.
As approved by the N.C. Utilities Commission (NCUC), the bill for a residential customer using 1,000 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per month will decrease from $105.15 to $104.06.
The decrease is similar to other decreases applied in 2009 and 2010.
In September, customers began seeing reductions in their bills related to Progress Energy's merger with Duke Energy (NYSE: DUK).Although Duke Energy Carolinas and Progress Energy Carolinas continue to operate as separate utilities, the merger agreements allow the companies to jointly dispatch power plants to reduce fuel expenses – thereby lowering the fuel costs passed on to customers. These changes are already saving residential customers 85 cents on a monthly 1,000 kWh bill. The additional decrease announced today reflects changes in three components of the rates N.C. residential customers pay. The changes, based on a monthly 1,000 kWh bill, include:
- A decrease of $1.54 in the monthly amount customers are charged for fuels used to generate electricity;
- An increase of 59 cents in the monthly charge used to pay for energy-efficiency and demand-side management programs; and
- A decrease of 14 cents per month in the charge for state-mandated renewable energy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV