Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS) today reported sales and earnings for its fiscal 2013 second quarter ended October 27, 2012.
Second quarter consolidated revenues were $1.9 billion, a decrease of 0.4% as compared to the prior year. Second quarter consolidated earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) increased 16% as compared to a year ago to $65 million. Consolidated second quarter net earnings attributable to Barnes & Noble were $2 million, as compared to a loss of $7 million in the prior year. Second quarter net losses attributable to Barnes & Noble were $0.04 per share, which includes the impact of the dividend on redeemable preferred shares, as compared to a loss of $0.17 per share a year ago.
"In addition to growing our EBITDA 16% during the quarter, the company also completed the formation of our promising NOOK Media subsidiary and closed our investment from Microsoft," said William Lynch, Chief Executive Officer of Barnes & Noble. "We expect our two highly acclaimed new NOOK products, and our Microsoft partnership on Windows 8 to further fuel the growth of our digital business, and are encouraged by the promising start to the holidays in our retail and digital businesses."
Second Quarter 2013 Results from OperationsSegment results for the fiscal 2013 and fiscal 2012 second quarters are as follows:
|$ in millions||Increase/(Decrease)||Increase/(Decrease)|
|Q2 2013||Q2 2012||$||%||Q2 2013||Q2 2012||$||%|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV