Did the Fiscal Cliff Really Charge the Market?
A final consideration among investors is that most of these early talks may simply represent political posturing. The president won re-election by a wide margin in the Electoral College and by a convincing majority in the popular vote. Obama's party also gained seats in the Democratic-controlled U.S. Senate and in the House of Representatives. It could be detrimental for House Republicans to refuse to compromise with the president and allow a full fiscal cliff to occur. Obama is finished with campaigning, but House Republicans must consider mid-term elections set to run in two years as they could receive part of the blame from American voters for thrusting the economy back into a recession -- something the Congressional Budget Office has said could happen if legislators allowed all changes to go through.
"Part of it, people have to realize, there's posturing going on," said Fantozzi. "The Republicans are playing chicken with a VW Rabbit; the Democrats, who really have a lot of strength, they're driving a big bus."
-- Written by Joe Deaux in New York.
>Contact by Email.Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV