These two concepts -- same-day delivery and Amazon Locker -- could naturally lead to at least a handful of brick and mortar outlets.
From a branding standpoint, it makes sense to have a store in Seattle, Manhattan, downtown San Francisco and somewhere in Southern California. However, as Bezos said -- and this is why I love him -- it makes no sense to do brick and mortar merely for the sake of doing it.
He was being nice when he said the other guys do a good job at it. Certainly some do. When he brought up iPad, you could almost see the respect Bezos has for Apple (AAPL) in his eyes. That's a friendly competition if I ever have seen one.
But, ultimately, what Bezos was saying, as I read between the lines, is that the present brick and mortar retail model stinks.It strikes me kinda funny that Amazon busted the model in two. Now, Bezos says, Man, we can't really think of anything to do that's different at the moment. Translation: He's a humble genius. He disrupted an entire space. And you know darn well that, even if it's bubbling somewhere below the surface in his shiny dome, Bezos has ideas on how to put physical retail back together again. I am no Bezos, but I have ideas as well. Explore some with me on Twitter and in future articles on TheStreet. Follow @rocco_thestreet
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV