Housing Recovery Is Leaving Behind First-Time Buyers
By Diana Olick, CNBC Correspondent
NEW YORK (CNBC) -- Current homeowners are finally moving up, and distressed sales are making up less of the overall market--all signs of much-needed improvement in housing.
Current homeowners accounted for 54% of October's non-distressed market, up from 50% in June, according to a new survey by Campbell/Inside Mortgage Finance.
This as the share of non-distressed sales surged to 64.7%, up from 55.7% as recently as February.Unfortunately, first-time home buyers are seeing just the opposite, largely left out of this surge in sales and prices. Their share of the market, usually up in the 40% range historically, fell to 34.7% in October, the lowest in the Campbell/IMF survey's three-year history.
More from CNBC
Optimism Fuels L.A. Auto Show
Groupon's Andrew Mason Isn't Firing Himself
LeBron James Reclaims Most Popular Jersey Crown
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV