CHICAGO, Nov. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- ComEd is warning customers to be on the alert for scam artists claiming to be a ComEd representative seeking payment.
Over the last few weeks, the company has seen an increase in reports of individuals calling customers claiming to be ComEd representatives and telling the customer their service will be disconnected unless payment is made. They instruct the individual to buy a prepaid credit card and call them back with the personal identification number (PIN). Variations of the scam include stories that the customer's billing cycle has changed and payment is needed immediately, or that the account is past due and immediate payment is required to avoid immediate disconnection, or that the customer's previous payments were not accepted or processed.
"ComEd wants to protect its customers from these types of schemes. ComEd will never ask a customer to purchase a prepaid credit card to make a payment on a bill," said Val Jensen, senior vice president of Customer Operations for ComEd. "If customers have concerns about the status of their account, they can call us at 1-800-EDISON1 and a representative will be happy to review the account."
The Illinois Commerce Commission has also received similar complaints from ComEd customers. The ICC is advising customers that in most cases utilities are required to provide advance notice prior to disconnection of service and when in doubt customers should call the utility or visit its website to verify their account status and the utility's authorized payment methods.People that believe they have been a phone scam target are urged to contact the Illinois Attorney General's office toll free at 1-800-386-5438 (TTY 1-800-964-3013) or visit the Illinois Attorney General's web site at www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov and click on the link "Protecting Consumers". ComEd reminds its customers that scammers may call or come to your home. Representatives from ComEd always carry proper identification and never ask customers for cash or personal financial information. Customers can verify if a ComEd worker is in the area or whether a caller is an employee by calling 1-800-EDISON1. Customers can avoid being scammed by taking a few precautions:
- Never provide your social security or personal information to anyone initiating contact with you claiming to be a ComEd representative or requesting you to send money to another person or entity other than ComEd.
- Always ask to see a company photo ID before allowing any utility worker into your home or business.
- Be skeptical of individuals wearing clothing with old or defaced company logos. If you have any doubts, ask to see a company photo ID. If you are at all concerned or suspicious that the individual may not be from ComEd, call 1-800-EDISON1 to verify or call your local law enforcement agency or the Attorney General's Office to file a complaint.
- Never make payment for services to anyone coming to your door.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV