NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Groupon (GRPN) shares ticked higher after a report from AllThingsD editor Kara Swisher noted the company's board is considering replacing CEO Andrew Mason amid concerns over the stock price and business.
Swisher noted that nothing is imminent, but the board is entertaining the idea of removing the young CEO, who has come under scrutiny for his flamboyant and sometimes bewildering ways. Groupon gained 2.5% to $4.10 today, though the stock is down 82% this year.
Mason, speaking at the Business Insider IGNITION conference, discussed his job and the outlook for the company. When asked about keeping his job, he said: "I care far more about the success of the business than I do about my job as a CEO."
Research In Motion (RIMM) shares gained 4.6% to $11.21 on optimism over the BlackBerry 10, its new platform.Research In Motion announced that BlackBerry 10 would debut at a launch event on Jan. 30. There had been concerns the company would fail to meet the deadline, having delayed it in the past. National Bank Financial analyst Kris Thompson recently raised his price target to $15 from $12, citing investor confidence ahead of the launch.
MercadoLibre (MELI) shares fell 4.5% to $70.30 on heavier-than-average volume. The Brazilian e-commerce company traded nearly 1 million shares as of 1 p.m. EST, more than twice its average daily volume. MercadoLibre hosts online commerce platforms in Latin America. It has often been compared to eBay (EBAY), with its payment system (PayPal) and online auction services. Interested in more on MercadoLibre? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV