"The heads of business that are meeting ... have already been having to make plans and hold off on certain activities for next year already, because of the cliff, regardless of how it gets worked out," said Richard Weeks, a managing director at HighTower Advisors.
January crude oil contracts were tracking lower with gold as futures were shedding $1 to $86.18 a barrel.
Gold prices dipped on Tuesday after eurozone finance ministers finally reached a bailout agreement with Greece to help make that country's debt more manageable. Steps included cutting interest rates on bailout loans and extending the deadlines on loan repayments and Greek bond buybacks.
The news didn't excite investors as the euro declined Tuesday against the U.S. dollar. The euro continued its retreat against the greenback on Wednesday to $1.2932, down from the prior day's settlement at $1.2944.Gold mining stocks were mixed Wednesday. Shares of NovaGold Resources (NG) were losing 2%, while shares of Randgold Resources (GOLD) were popping 0.67%. Among volume leaders, Barrick Gold (ABX) was ticking up 0.17%, but Goldcorp (GG) was off 0.20%. Gold ETFs SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) and iShares Gold Trust were off 1.5%. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV