NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Consider some numbers:
- Microsoft (MSFT - Get Report) says it sold 750,000 Xbox consoles during Black Friday week.
- This "Getting in Bed With Gadgets" report claims that one in three smartphone owners would give up sex before their phones. Ninety percent of 18- to 29-year-olds sleep with their smartphones. And roughly half check their smartphone for no reason when they wake in the middle of the night.
While I would not give up sex for pretty much anything, I am guilty as charged on the other smartphone claims. I browsed some academic journal databases and found that smartphone addiction has become a meaningful area of study. So, while I do not put all of my weight behind the above-referenced study by Online Psychology Degree, it's definitely on to something. Sounds more than reasonable.
For as hard as I have been on Microsoft, I have given the company equal parts praise for its domination of the living room via Xbox. In fact, part of my criticism of the company is that it doesn't focus enough energy on the living room. Marketing. Integration. Development.
- The living room. That's where Microsoft is sexy. Take Xbox and market it as more than a gamer's toy. Make it the all-around family entertainment system. Microsoft is killing Apple in the living room, why put up this fight in the bedroom? Hit Apple where it's weak. It's getting nowhere fast with Apple TV. Exploit that weakness because it's a Microsoft strength.
- The automobile. Apple is making strides here. Vehicle-integrated Siri is coming to some Chevrolet models soon. Expect Apple to cut more deals. But Microsoft can challenge a fast-moving Apple here. The company powers Ford's (F) excellent Sync product. It needs to invest heavily to own the motor vehicle.
- Office. No words really necessary here.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts