MetLife announced that it has added a new portfolio to the MetLife Protected Growth Strategies SM lineup available through its variable annuities with the GMIB Max and EDB Max optional benefit riders. The Protected Growth Strategies seek to give consumers more consistent returns over time by responsively managing market risk and identifying opportunities for growth across global asset classes. The MetLife Multi-Index Targeted Risk Portfolio combines a multi-index asset allocation approach with a risk management strategy. Specifically, the portfolio consists of a base portion investing in index portfolios coupled with a volatility overlay that uses an objective, rules-based approach to help manage the portfolio’s volatility. MetLife Investment Management, LLC—a subsidiary of MetLife, Inc.—is responsible for managing the volatility overlay.
In May 2011, MetLife was the first insurer to introduce investment options available with their optional benefit riders that expanded beyond traditional asset allocation to include more asset classes and a stronger focus on risk. The Protected Growth Strategies are tailor-made for today’s markets.
“We introduced the Protected Growth Strategy portfolios to offer consumers a better balance between growth potential and market protection, and, as a result, have received a very positive response from the marketplace,” said Elizabeth Forget, Senior Vice President, MetLife Retail Annuities. “Our customers have found that the Protected Growth Strategies have helped smooth out portfolio volatility while being invested in global markets. The introduction of the MetLife Multi-Index Targeted Risk Portfolio combines the ease of investing in index portfolios with the proven risk management skills of MetLife Investment Management.”
The portfolios’ key characteristics include:
- Risk managed – By monitoring key indicators of market risk and volatility, these portfolios seek to emphasize growth when markets are more stable and protection when markets are more risky.
- Professionally managed – These portfolios offer the expertise of leading firms and access to investing techniques once available primarily to universities, endowments, and other large institutions.
- Responsively managed – By seeking to anticipate risk and responding quickly to changing market conditions, these managers look for opportunities across global asset classes.
- AllianceBerstein Global Dynamic Allocation Portfolio
- AQR Global Risk Balanced Portfolio
- BlackRock Global Tactical Strategies Portfolio
- Invesco Balanced-Risk Allocation Portfolio
- JPMorgan Global Active Allocation Portfolio
- MetLife Balanced Plus Portfolio (co-managed with PIMCO)
- MetLife Multi-Index Targeted Risk Portfolio
- Schroders Global Multi-Asset Portfolio
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV