4. U.S. Bancorp
Shares of U.S. Bancorp (USB) of Minneapolis closed at $32.10 Tuesday, returning 21% year-to-date, following a 2% return last year.
The shares trade for 2.6 times tangible book value, and for 10.4 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $3.08. The consensus 2014 EPS estimate is $3.32. Based on a quarterly payout of 19.5 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 2.43%.
U.S. Bancorp placed fifth in the UBS bank footprint ranking, with weighted home price growth rate of 5.24% in its market footprint.
U.S. Bancorp has been one of the strongest and most consistent earners among large U.S. banks, with operating returns on average assets (ROA) increasing steadily from 1.58% to 1.71% over the past five quarters, according to Thomson Reuters Bank Insight. The strong performance is reflected in the relatively high price-to-tangible-book ratio.Ketron rates U.S. Bancorp a "Buy," with a $38 price target, saying on Oct. 17 after the company announced its third-quarter results that "the bank continues to post above average returns, was able to maintain its
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV