NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Problems are plaguing Microsoft's (MSFT) trio of newly released operating systems. Today there's word that the Redmond, Wash.-based company is working on fixing a problem with some new smartphones running Windows Phone 8.
Microsoft has reportedly acknowledged it has discovered that some Windows Phone 8 early adopters are experiencing random reboots. Microsoft experts say they've located the problem and will be able to offer a downloadable solution in the next few weeks.
"We're continuing to investigate some reports of phones rebooting and have identified a cause with our partners. We are working to get an over-the-air update out in December."
We're pretty sure this will be added to the fix for a bunch of other problems that we told you about yesterday.Frequent small updates are a normal part of using computing devices. Apple (AAPL) and Google (GOOG) offer updates of varying importance to their mobile and desktop operating systems all the time. But, in this case, since Microsoft has rushed to release three new operating systems in time for the holiday shopping season, we're finding a number of problems all at once. Those include the major audio problem we discovered in Windows 8. In better news, Microsoft has announced that the Windows 8 computer OS is doing quite well in its first few weeks of release. Windows Chief Marketing and Financial Officer Tami Reller told the Credit Suisse 2012 Technology Conference that, in early going, the company has surpassed 40 million Windows 8 licenses sold. Microsoft claims Windows 8 is already outpacing Windows 7 in terms of upgrades. -- Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV