HARTSVILLE, S.C., Nov. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Sonoco Recycling, LLC, a unit of Sonoco (NYSE: SON), has invested $4 million in its Columbia, S.C., materials recovery facility (MRF), allowing the facility to accept additional types of materials. Because of this, Richland County residents will now be able to recycle more of their household materials such as composite cans, glass, magazines and other types of plastics.
Sonoco Recycling has added three sorting screens for corrugated cardboard and paper sorting, an optical sorter to retrieve plastic, and a new glass crusher that allows the facility to collect whole and broken glass bottles, jugs and jars.
"Sonoco has always prided itself on 'closing the loop,'" said Ray Howard, general manager, Sonoco Recycling. "We use recycled materials in our products, which are then recycled by the consumer and come back to us for processing. With this upgrade, we're now able to recycle even more of the packaging produced by Sonoco, in addition to the other items we collect that aren't produced by us."Derek Trader, division marketing manager, Global Rigid Paper and Closures, agreed, "Sonoco is one of the largest providers of composite can packaging in the world for products such as coffee or Pringles ® potato crisps. The ability to both produce and recycle this item is exciting for us and further demonstrates the Company's commitment to sustainable business practices." New items accepted:
- Composite cans – cardboard containers with metal bottoms, such as coffee or Pringles containers
- Paper – office paper, junk mail, magazines, chipboard, wet-pack boxes and gable-top cartons
- Plastics – most plastics #1-7, including plastic bottles, jugs, jars and containers like yogurt cups and margarine tubes, milk crates, curbside recycling bins and carts, laundry baskets, plastic lawn furniture and toys, and five-gallon buckets
- Glass – whole and broken glass bottles, jugs and jars
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts