Almost 80 percent of grandparents say their adult grandchildren motivate them to stay healthy, according to a new survey commissioned by Humana Inc., one of the nation’s leading health and well-being companies. The survey of 1,001 grandparents (65 years or older with at least one adult grandchild age 18 to 34) measures the surprising impact young adult grandkids have on their grandparents to stay motivated and be healthy.
Grandparents often play a critical support role in the lives of their children and grandchildren. Surprisingly, 78 percent say their adult grandchildren motivate them to stay healthy and health is top-of-mind for the greatest generation—particularly in relation to their adult grandkids.
“This study reveals that these two generations are looking to one another for health inspiration,” said Tom Liston, President of Humana's Retail Segment. “Grandparents have great life experience and it’s encouraging for young people to see them staying active. Today’s grandparents are encouraged to see their grandkids taking health more seriously—as the survey shows 30 percent would tell their adult grandchildren to take better care of their health.”
The study revealed that grandparents think their millennial grandchildren are dedicated to leading purposeful lives. The majority of grandparents say their adult grandchildren have the same work ethic and determination that characterized their generation. Interestingly, older grandparents feel even stronger that millennials are living up to their potential:
- 54 percent believe their adult grandchildren are more career-focused.
- 50 percent believe their adult grandchildren are more global.
- 45 percent believe their adult grandchildren are healthier.
- 43 percent believe their adult grandchildren are more determined.
- Nearly 50 percent of grandparents agree technology has brought them closer with their adult grandchildren.
- 20 percent of grandparents admit to using Facebook to keep up with the profiles of their grandchildren on a regular basis.
- Younger grandparents (ages 65 – 74) are twice as likely as older grandparents to admit checking in this way.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts