Homebuilders Are Risky Bets Despite Positive Data
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Home prices have been rising, builder confidence has been improving, but the rise in single family housing starts slowed in October. At 10 a.m. we get the New Home Sales data for October, which is projected to have slipped somewhat.
In my last story covering the home builder stocks on Oct. 25 I wrote
The home builder stocks have been moving sideways since the middle of September as shown in the weekly chart for the PHLX Housing Sector Index (HGX). Four of the eight stocks I profiled on Oct. 25 have declined since, two moved sideways and two moved higher.
The weekly chart for HGX (165.04) shows declining momentum with the index above its five-week modified moving average at 161.44, which is a neutral weekly chart profile. My monthly pivot is 163.92 with a weekly risky level at 167.62. My quarterly value level lags at 145.84.Chart Courtesy of Thomson/Reuters In a speech on Nov. 20 Fed Chief Bernanke described the housing market as showing some clear signs of improvement on rising sales, higher prices and increased construction. He described these developments as encouraging saying that this segment of our economy will be a source of economic growth and new jobs over the next couple of years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV