Self-treated hypoglycemia is common in Canadian patients According to GAPP2™:
- More than a quarter of Canadian patients surveyed had missed, mis-timed (by more than two hours) and reduced doses and 26 per cent had done so five or more times in a 30-day period
- 20 per cent of Canadian patients deliberately did not take their insulin as prescribed and one in seven let blood glucose levels go higher to reduce their risk of nocturnal self-treated minor nocturnal hypoglycemia
- On the last occasion of missed, mis-timed or reduced insulin dosing, 87 per cent of Canadian patients had done so intentionally because their blood sugar level was low and to reduce the risk of having a hypoglycemic event
- HCPs believe that patients under-report frequency or severity of hypoglycemia
"Sometimes, taking insulin at the exact time I am supposed to is simply not possible. Like anyone else, I lead a busy life, and sometimes I cannot take a break for my insulin. At the same time, I often worry about experiencing hypoglycemia," says Mohamed Eltawil, who lives with type 2 diabetes. "I would look for treatment options that could be flexible with my lifestyle. I also encourage everyone with type 2 diabetes to work with their doctor to develop an action plan to prevent hypoglycemia."
The results of GAPP2™ reveal that patients experience a negative impact on overall quality of life due to the inflexible routine associated with long acting insulin treatments.
- Six in ten Canadian patients worry about missing occasional long acting insulin doses and seven in ten feel guilty when they do
- More Canadian patients worry about experiencing a hypoglycemic event at night ( 34 per cent) than during the day ( 20 per cent)
"Patients do not always report the full extent of hypoglycemic events with their doctors," says Dr. Woo. "This creates a challenge in understanding why the patient isn't adhering to prescribed insulin treatment. It is important for patients to recognize signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia and discuss hypoglycemia with their physicians."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV