Many people have it backwards too. Price isn't someone's opinion of what a stock is worth, the value is. Value is based on an investor's opinion of what a stock is worth, and if an investor believes the price is below the value based on their opinion they are buyers and if they believe the price is higher than the value, they will sell.
After the recent retracement higher in price, a near panic finally lifted from the minds of many Apple investors. Unfortunately, the move higher has done little beyond replacing fear of losing, with wondering if "now is the time to take profits".
I am still bullish with Apple, but the more important question is where else should you allocate the capital if you sell? If you have an investment that you believe will yield a greater return, then by all means, go ahead.
Otherwise, it only makes sense to maintain your position until either another investment (this includes cash) is more attractive.At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @RobertWeinstein This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV