Don't Reveal Your Full Birth Date On Facebook
Online social networks like Facebook and Twitter let you revive old relationships, share musings on current events and tell acquaintances about everything from your new job promotion to the cute thing your dog did.
Unfortunately, the ease of sharing information can lead some people to reveal too much. (Do you really need a daily update on the gastrointestinal upset of someone you barely know?)
But the danger of over-revelation leads beyond mere social faux pas. More than half of adults who use online social networks post information that puts them at risk of cybercrime, including fraudulent credit card use, says a recent survey by Consumer Reports.
According to the 2012 Javelin Strategy and Research's independent analysis of identity fraud report, in 2011, more than 11.6 million adults were victims of fraud, up 11 percent from the previous year. The report also found that users of social media sites such as LinkedIn, Google +, Facebook and Twitter have the highest instances of identity theft. And though the study notes that there is no proof of direct causation, it also states that more people are sharing too much sensitive information via these sites that can be used to confirm identity.
Avoid credit card fraud: Keep some information privateRisky information includes names or photos of your children, your home street address, and when you're going to be away from home on vacation. A less obvious, but potent, risk is revealing your full birth date. Revealing the month, day, and year you were born gives ammunition to identity thieves, who can use the date to get more personal information and access to your bank and credit card accounts, says Consumer Reports. If you really want to share your birthday, just reveal the month and day -- not the year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV