Bank of America could settle with MBIA any day, or it could drag the case on for another couple of years. In the meantime, look for an upgrade for MBIA's parent company from Moody's Investor Service in the near term. The bond rating agency downgraded MBIA Nov. 19, citing the cross-default threat, but said it would consider reversing the downgrade if MBIA could amend its bonds to delink the parent and MBIA Insurance. That's what MBIA accomplished on Monday. A Moody's upgrade would merely be an acknowledgement of that fact. Still, assuming the upgrade comes, it will likely spark another rally in MBIA shares--a reflection of how poorly the market understands the issues surrounding MBIA.
That lack of understanding suggests an opportunity for investors, and one that may be particularly attractive since it has relatively little to do with what happens with the economy.
-- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV