The FoodBank of Monmouth and Ocean Counties in Neptune, N.J., has won the first Ecolab Clean Makeover Contest and will receive $25,000 in Ecolab equipment, products and services to enhance the cleanliness and efficiency of their operations.
"This is a dream come true for us," said Chef Raymond Cattley with The FoodBank of Monmouth and Ocean Counties. "After Superstorm Sandy, we distributed enough food for one million meals. To meet the increased demands for our services, we must maintain our high standards of cleanliness and sanitation. Winning the Ecolab Clean Makeover Contest will allow us to draw on Ecolab’s expertise to ensure we operate a clean and safe foodservice environment.”
Through the Clean Makeover Contest, Ecolab invited foodservice operators to explain why they could use extra help from Ecolab to enhance the cleanliness and efficiency of their operations. Entries ranged from humbling to humorous, but all shared a common theme: a desire to maintain a high degree of cleanliness under sometimes challenging conditions.
The FoodBank's entry stood out to contest judges because the impact of the organization is magnified through its Culinary Training Kitchen Program, which provides unemployed and under-employed adults the opportunity to train for jobs in the foodservice industry. Through the program, students learn on-site food preparation and kitchen operations, including food safety regulations and best practices in kitchen sanitation. The program has successfully graduated more than 200 students since it began in March 2002.“Our students will benefit from Ecolab’s expertise and will bring best-in-class food safety practices to other foodservice operations once they complete our program,” said Cattley. The Clean Makeover Contest prize package, valued at $25,000, includes:
- An Ecolab rental dishmachine with new Apex2 technology
- Ecolab Pest Elimination service
- An Ecolab Cleaning Caddy for touch-free restroom cleaning
- Assorted cleaning products and tools for kitchen operations, including detergents, sanitizers, floor and glass cleaners and hand care products
- Ice Machine Smart Care SM Performance Check service
- Water filtration equipment for an ice machine and postmix beverages
- A food safety evaluation and coaching session
- Prep-n-Print food labeling system