Mandatory Flu Shot Or You're Fired
Not surprisingly, the CDC reports that the mandates dramatically increase the vaccination rate. U.S. hospitals that require flu shots reported a vaccination rate of 95.2 percent between 2011-12 season, compared with 68.2 percent at hospitals where they were not mandated, the CDC said.
Regardless, the practice rubs some labor groups the wrong way. Citing the "absence [of] a basic philosophic or personal exemption for healthcare workers," the Service Employees International Union released a statement opposing such workplace mandates. The SEIU, and its 1 million members, was joined in the statement by other unions, such as the AFL-CIO and National Nurses United. Critics also point to a recent study published in The Lancet, which found that the flu vaccine is 59 percent effective.
More From AOL Jobs
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV