5 Charities You Want to Avoid
BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- The holidays are the season of giving -- but experts warn would-be donors to make sure they don't get taken by questionable charities this time of year.
"Sadly, it's the Wild West out there in the nonprofit sector," says Sandra Miniutti of
CharityNavigator.org, a nonprofit site that rates charities. "With 1 million
Each year, CharityNavigator analyzes some 6,000 nonprofits' Form 990 financial-disclosure statements to see how much each group uses for good works compared with how much they spend on fundraising expenses, CEO pay and other overhead. The website's conclusion: Some nonprofits spend virtually every dime they raise on telemarketing firms to hit consumers up for money by phone.
Telemarketers often get a huge cut of your donation -- with as little as 4.4 cents of every $1 given ultimately going to good works after the charity deducts for other expenses, Miniutti says. That's a far cry from the 75 cents or more that she says well-regarded nonprofits earmark for their stated missions."These are charities you want to avoid," Miniutti says. "I think any donor who knew how little of their donation actually went to
Money going to professional fundraisers: 84.2%
This group gets a zero-star rating from CharityNavigator primarily because the nonprofit's latest Form 990 indicates that the nonprofit spends nearly 85% of its budget on professional fundraising. Only 9.8% goes toward the charity's stated mission of publicizing photos of missing kids and otherwise helping lost children's families, according to CharityNavigator's analysis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV