Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health recently hosted the 6 th Annual Health Care Management and Delivery Case Challenge, sponsored by Cigna and The Hay Group. The student teams tackled challenges posed by “The Timothy Fund” case written by current Executive MPH student, John MacPhee.
Kirk Drees, National Account Executive, Cigna; 1st place Team "The Gang of Synergy;" John Winkleman, Mt. Sinai Board Member, and Mailman Professor. (Photo: Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health)
Drawing on expertise from five graduate schools (Public Health, Physicians and Surgeons, Business, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and School of International and Public Affairs), teams of 3-5 students examined the strategic, operational and financial challenges of the family foundation, The Timothy Fund. The mission of The Timothy Fund is to reduce the prevalence of emotional distress and the rate of suicide among college and university students.
An expert panel of judges, playing the role of the Fund’s Board, listened to teams’ presentations and asked tough questions regarding proposed solutions, alternatives and implementation plans. Senior Judge John Winkleman, a Mount Sinai Medical Center Board member and Mailman professor, presided over the judging panel composed of Case Challenge benefactors from Cigna and The Hay Group as well as other faculty and alumni:
- Kirk Drees, National Account Executive, Cigna
- Ian Wilcox, Global Managing Director, Life Sciences, The Hay Group
- Howard Tarre, Practice Leader, Mercer Management Consulting
- Michael Geiger, Cooper University Hospital and Mailman alumnus
- Angela Profeta, Gold Health Strategies and Mailman alumna
- Gati Dharani, Draftfcb and Mailman alumna
The winning case study proposed The Timothy Fund, which is debating merging with a suicide prevention non-profit, remain independent and implement organizational changes to create a path for financial sustainability by creating Development and Social Marketing teams.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts