Count Sterne Agee among the bulls on American Eagle. The firm, which has a buy rating on the stock with a $27 price target, is expecting in-line results for the quarter and it believes the company did well over the first big shopping weekend of gift-giving season.
"Our holiday checks this weekend suggested AEO sales were off to a good start with promotional levels similar to last year," the firm said. "Under new management the Company has significant top- and bottom-line drivers with inventory management a key focus."
Sterne Agee said it's expecting American Eagle to provide a forecast for earnings of 55 cents a share for its fiscal fourth quarter ending in January, a view that's in line with the current consensus.
"We are projecting comps up 3% against 10% for Q4 LY, with holiday comps last year up 12%," the firm said. "While comps were strong last year, excess inventories led to gross margins under pressure at 35.2%, down 520 bp
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV