JUNO BEACH, Fla., Nov. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The holidays can be an expensive time of year with plenty of gift giving, house guests and festive decor, making an impact on the wallet. While FPL customers already have the lowest energy bills in the state, the company is helping its customers make their bills even lower with 10 Ways to Have an Energy Fit Holiday.
"Getting ready for the holidays can require a lot of energy, but most people probably aren't thinking about the energy costs when it comes to entertaining, gift buying and decorating," said Tim Fitzpatrick, vice president of Marketing & Communication for FPL. "The holidays are all about traditions, so by adding these energy-efficient changes FPL customers can be energy fit for years to come."
- Deck the halls with LEDs. When it comes to holiday lighting, LED lights are the bright choice to get you more for your money. The amount of power it takes to operate just one 7-watt incandescent holiday bulb could power two 24-foot LED strings - enough to light a six foot tree. Additionally, LED light strings last about 10 times longer.
- Set time on your side. Set timers for your holiday displays to turn off before bedtime so there is no need to burn the lights all night long.
- Switch your non-holiday lights. Before overnight guests arrive, switch out guest room and common area lighting to compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs. Each CFL bulb you install will save you about $50 in energy costs over the life of the bulb.
- Turn it off. Remind guests to turn off lights and fans when they leave the room. Stopping one ceiling fan from running all the time and turning at least one light off when you leave the room can save you more than $7 a month on your electric bill.
- Stop peeking! Ovens lose a lot of heat when opened and require significant energy to heat back up to the appropriate temperature. Instead, when you have to sneak-a-peek, turn the oven light on and look through the interior window.
- Choose glass or ceramic pans for the oven. These pans heat faster than metal ones and allow you to set the temperature 25 degrees lower than a recipe suggests for the same cooking time.
- Don't forget your crock-pot. Use smaller appliances such as crock-pots, microwaves and toaster ovens when possible. These can be much more energy-efficient for side dishes or small meals.
- Select energy-efficient electronics. When it comes to buying gifts for your loved ones, opt for a laptop computer over a desktop computer. Laptop computers require 50 to 80 percent less power than a desktop computer.
- Let the star be your guide. Look for the ENERGY STAR logo when purchasing larger electronics or appliances. Newer ENERGY STAR models meet stricter requirements and can save up to 40 percent on energy over standard models.
- Give the gift of light. Use solar-powered pathway or security lights for your home or as a gift to the person who loves being outside in the evening.
For more ways to get energy fit year-round take an Online Home Energy Survey at www.FPL.com/energyfit.Florida Power & Light Company Florida Power & Light Company is the largest rate-regulated electric utility in Florida and serves the third largest number of customers of any electric utility in the United States. FPL serves approximately 4.6 million customer accounts and is a leading Florida employer with approximately 10,000 employees as of year-end 2011. During the five year period ended December 31, 2011, the company delivered the best service reliability among Florida investor-owned utilities, while its typical residential customer bills, based on data available in December 2011, are about 25 percent below the national average. A clean energy leader, FPL has one of the lowest emissions profiles and one of the leading energy efficiency programs among utilities nationwide. FPL is a subsidiary of Juno Beach, Fla.-based NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE). For more information, visit www.FPL.com. SOURCE Florida Power & Light Company
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV