NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Over the past week I have been keeping my eye on several key sectors and stocks for potentially large end-of-year rallies to lock in more gains before 2013.
My recent calls have been Research in Motion (RIMM) (up 54%), AAPL (AAPL) (up 5%), Facebook (FB) (up 8%), so it's been a great month thus far. That being said there are other plays that look amazing and one of them is the utilities sector.
Looking back 30 years, clearly utilities have a tendency to rally going into year-end. What makes this setup so exciting is that the Obama tax for 2013 has caused many investors to lock in capital gains along with dividend gains so the utility sector has recently been beaten.
I always like to cheer for the underdogs because they can make large moves quickly and this season its utility stocks.
30-Year Seasonality: Utilities StocksUtility Sector ETFs: In the graph below I show the main utility ETFs for trading. Simple analysis clearly shows the selling momentum is slowing and where price should go if it can break out above the red dotted resistance line. Exchange traded funds XLU (XLU), FXU (FXU), IDU (IDU) and DBU (DBU) are the funds I found to be setting up. Utilities Sector Trading Conclusion: While I feel utilities are about to start moving higher it is important to mention that the broad market is setting up for a one-to-three-day pullback. If the stock market does pull back this week then we should see utilities pull back also.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV