SAN DIEGO (TheStreet) -- Acadia Pharmaceuticals' (ACAD) experimental drug pimavanserin reduced psychotic episodes in patients with Parkinson's disease compared to a placebo, achieving the primary endpoint of a phase III study, the company said Tuesday.
Shares of Acadia were UP 145% to $5.64 in early Tuesday trading.
Acadia needs to conduct another phase III study of pimavanserin in Parkinson's patients in order to confirm Tuesday's results. Two previous late-stage studies of the drug failed to demonstrate a significant reduction in psychotic episodes.
Treatment with a 40 mg dose of pimavanserin resulted in a 5.79-point reduction in psychotic behavior compared to a 2.73-point reduction in patients treated with a placebo. The 3.06-point difference in the two arms of the phase III study was statistically significant.Reduction in psychotic behavior focused mostly on hallucinations and delusions and was assessed using a 9-item scale adapted from the Scale for the Assessment of Positive Symptoms (SAPS). Pimavanserin achieved its antipsychotic effects without worsening motor function in Parkinson's patients, meeting a key secondary endpoint of the trial. The pimavanserin data are "better than I expected," said Zacks analyst Jason Napodano, in a twitter post reacting to the Acadia study results. The U.S. market opportunity for pimavanserin in Parkinson's disease psychosis is $300-400 million, he adds. -- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow @AdamFeuerstein
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV