F5 Networks, Inc. (NASDAQ: FFIV), the global leader in Application Delivery Networking (ADN), today introduced a BIG-IP ® virtual edition for AWS, which leverages F5’s complete portfolio of BIG-IP products for the AWS cloud. This announcement addresses organizations’ escalating demand to extend their data center and applications to AWS, maintaining enterprise-class reliability, scale, security, and performance. F5’s new AWS offering is also the featured attraction at the company’s booth (#406) at the AWS re: Invent conference at the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas, November 27–29.
“Enterprise customers have come to rely on BIG-IP’s strategic awareness that provides important information on how applications, resources, and users interact in order to successfully deliver applications,” said Siva Mandalam, Director of Product Management and Product Marketing, Cloud and Virtualization Solutions at F5. “Since BIG-IP for AWS will have equivalent features to physical BIG-IP devices, customers can apply the same level of control for their applications in AWS. With BIG-IP running in enterprise data centers and on AWS, customers can establish secure tunnels, burst to the cloud, and control the application from end to end.”
The BIG-IP solution for AWS includes options for traffic management, global server load balancing, application firewall, web application acceleration, and other advanced application delivery functions. With the new F5 offering:
- F5 ADN services operate seamlessly in the cloud – BIG-IP virtual editions are being made available to a growing number of customers seeking to leverage cloud offerings. Availability for AWS expands on F5’s broad support for virtualized and cloud environments based on vSphere, Hyper-V, Xen, and KVM.
- Enterprises can confidently take advantage of cloud resources – AWS customers can easily add F5’s market-leading availability, optimization, and security services to support cloud and hybrid deployment models.
- IT teams are able to easily scale application environments – Production and lab versions of BIG-IP virtual editions for AWS enable IT teams to move smoothly from testing and development into production to support essential business applications. Customers can leverage their existing BIG-IP configuration and policies and apply them to BIG-IP running on AWS.
Supporting Facts and Quotes
- F5 has the greatest market share for the advanced application delivery controller (ADC) market, deployed within the enterprise and service providers markets. According to Gartner, Inc., F5 has 59.1% market share based on Q2 2012 worldwide revenue. 1
- F5’s initial product offering will use the AWS “bring your own license” (BYOL) model, which allows customers to buy perpetual licenses from F5 and then apply these licenses to instances running in AWS. To evaluate or purchase BIG-IP software modules, customers should contact their local F5 sales office.