New Research Finds 'clear Misalignment' Between What Canadians Value, And Health System Performance Measurement And Funding
"Further, our analysis of the values of each of the comparator OECD countries varied widely from Canadian health systems values. Values expressed in the comparator OECD countries tend to focus more directly on healthy, active living, patient choice, and health literacy, a stark contrast to Canadian health systems values," added Dr. Snowdon. "These OECD countries have also achieved greater quality outcomes in their health systems. As a country we have not focused on healthy, active living as a priority."
To successfully shift the Canadian health care system to one that is cost-effective, sustainable, and patient-centric, the Centre recommends the following:
- Align health system values with Canadian values, in order to develop a system that is focused on strengthening health and quality of life for the Canadian population.
- Align health system performance metrics and funding models with Canadian values, focusing on health and wellness as a central mandate.
- Re-examine health workforce values relative to the needs and values of Canadians, who strive for personalized and collaborative relationships with health providers to achieve health and wellness.
"In order to achieve the effective, sustainable and patient-centric model of health care in Canada, the values of Canadians and those of the health care system must align," said Snowdon. "Canadians' values reflect the desire for a more 'personalized' health care system, one that actively engages consumers in a collaborative partnership with health providers. This shift is essential to achieving transformational change within our health system."
To access a PDF version of the full white paper, visit: go.ivey.ca/costvsvaluesSOURCE International Centre for Health Innovation
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts