"Verizon's acquisition of Hughes Telematics will help fuel this evolution," said Small. "In 2013, this dramatic growth will extend to retail, finance and manufacturing."
The ability to collect, store and analyze overwhelming volumes of data will define which enterprises extract the best insights and make the most agile decisions, to their competitive advantage. As a result, all enterprises – both business and government – will need to work with vendors having strong and global ecosystems.
For example, in Charlotte, N.C., Envision Charlotte Smart Energy Now and Smart Water Now projects, a private-public initiative in which Verizon is participating, illustrates the potential of connected machines to better manage critical resources. Verizon is gathering energy and water-usage data from a network of machine-to-machine devices and is transporting near real-time information to kiosks utilizing Verizon's high-speed 4G LTE wireless network.
4. Networks Will Be Smarter Than You and InvisibleAn intelligent fabric that connects everything and everyone will render underlying networks invisible to end users, even as overall IP traffic grows at a compound annual growth rate of 29 percent through 2016, according to the Cisco Visual Networking Index. 4 "Improvements in network reliability and resiliency, coupled with intelligent end points, serve as the foundation for connecting smart machines and smarter people," Small said. "We will see a shift in 2013 to more dynamic networks, pervasive IP connections, and purpose-built networks that serve businesses, consumers and society. "From retail transactions to high speed trading to the digital signs that communicate with us on a daily basis, the network is omnipresent in the background. It continues to grow in importance, as well as just how much we take it for granted." 5. Security is the New Arms Race In 2013, security will move out of the specialist realm and become a mainstream IT must-have. Security breaches span access, infrastructure and apps. They happen on fixed and mobile networks. They impact physical, intellectual and financial capital. And the scope is global, according to the "Verizon 2012 Data Breach Investigations Report." 5 "We expect identity security to be a much more prevalent issue in 2013," Small said. "Two-factor authentication is already gaining adherents, but it won't be enough to counteract the increasing amount and intensity of criminal activity pursuing both intellectual property and financial gain."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV