But the market rallied nonetheless.
That makes me inclined to think this move isn't finished, and that it will force more people in than out, even if those who worry about higher capital gains rates leave the table.
Regarding the dividend return after taxes, one look at the hideous performance of the utilities tells you the change in the law has almost been digested already. Yes, these stocks have been performing that badly.
In fact, some of them -- the ones that yield 5.5% -- are probably already buys.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV