ATLANTA, Nov. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The next generation of nuclear operators is being trained in the most modern nuclear plant simulators in the world, at Georgia Power's Plant Vogtle near Waynesboro.
Over the next year and a half, more than 100 operators will be trained on the systems and integrated plant operations of the AP1000® reactor. This will involve using the two AP1000 control room simulators for 16 hours per day.The two new nuclear energy facilities being built at Plant Vogtle will be the first in the United States to use the new Westinghouse AP1000 reactor technology. "These are the most modern nuclear plant simulators in the world, designed to replicate the Vogtle unit 3 and 4 control rooms," said Joseph "Buzz" Miller, executive vice president of nuclear development for Georgia Power and Southern Nuclear. "Because of Georgia Power's solid commitment to building and operating a safe and reliable electric generating facility, the groundwork for the extensive and rigorous training programs for the next generation of nuclear plant operators has been in progress for years." The AP1000 control room simulator consists of 16 wide panel displays, quad panel work stations for the reactor operators and balance of plant operators, quad panel monitoring stations for shift supervisors and shift technical advisors, and dual panel monitoring stations at the back of the room which double as simulator control stations. As construction moves along, the company has to get operators ready before fuel is loaded into the reactor. Because of the construction schedule, enough operators must be trained to operate both units before unit 3 comes on line. To manage such a large number of students, the training will be spread out over four groups of students with about 25 per class.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV