NEW YORK, Nov. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Diageo, the world's leading spirits, wine and beer company and industry leader in promoting responsible drinking, applauds Governor Cuomo's multi-pronged initiative to keep drivers with a history of repeat alcohol or drug related driving convictions off the road in the State of New York. These new DMV rules are among the toughest licensing policies in the nation, representing New York's commitment to the increased safety of road ways.
"This initiative marks significant progress in New York's fight against drunk driving, and we applaud the Governor for his efforts," said Dwayne Kratt, Senior Director of State Government Relations, Diageo North America. "Across the country, drunk driving statistics have shown milestone improvement over the past several years. However in New York, alcohol-related injurious crashes involving a driver with three or more alcohol-related driving convictions are on the rise. This regulation proves that officials are taking the issue seriously. While there is still much work to be done, these improvements show that when law enforcement, the justice system, legislators, and the industry unite behind this critical issue, we can make a real difference."
Under the new regulations, the DMV will be able to review the lifetime record of all drivers who apply to have a license reinstated after a revocation. Additionally, the DMV can permanently revoke the licenses of repeat offenders and can delay re-licensing until the full term of suspension or revocation has been served. Finally, for those drivers whose revocations stem from an alcohol-related offense, the DMV can require an interlock on the vehicle driven by the applicant for five years. The interlock, attached to the car's ignition system, requires the driver to blow into the device before starting the car. If alcohol is detected, the car will not start.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV