Stamats Awarded LEED Certification
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa, Nov. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Stamats announced today that it has been awarded LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Certified Silver for its headquarters building in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. LEED® is the nation's preeminent program for the design, construction, and operation of sustainable buildings. The LEED® certification is awarded by the U.S. Green Building Council.
Stamats' headquarters were damaged by the severe flooding in 2008 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Rather than relocate elsewhere, Stamats decided to remain in downtown Cedar Rapids and rebuild its headquarters to LEED® standards. Company President/CEO Guy Wendler explained, "After the flood, we decided that we would not just come back, but come back better than before. Rebuilding and operating our headquarters in a sustainable manner fit right in with that goal. Employees are proud to be part of a green business, and we are seeing returns in the form of utility savings. Plus, it's just the right thing to do."
Rich Hanson, Stamats Senior Controller, oversaw the rebuilding of the 30,000 square foot facility and listed some of the major sustainable building improvements:
- Low flow water fixtures that reduce water usage by 30%
- Building materials that use recycled or renewable materials and/or which are locally sourced, thereby reducing the company's carbon footprint
- Energy saving features which reduce the need for gas and electricity such as the extensive use of glass and open layouts, which allows spaces to receive natural light; automatic lighting controls which turn on lights only when space is occupied and light is needed; energy efficient light fixtures; and more insulation
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts