LOS ANGELES, Nov. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Twilight: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 continued to infiltrate the Twitterverse during Thanksgiving weekend, with competition from Box Office leaders Skyfall and the newly released, Rise of the Guardians - according to the University of Southern California (USC) Annenberg Innovation Lab and the IBM (NYSE: IBM) Film Forecaster, a Social Sentiment Index.
Video: http://bit.ly/NUcjLtThe Social Sentiment Index combines sophisticated analytics and natural language processing technologies to gauge positive, negative and neutral opinions shared in millions of public tweets. In this instance, the index was used to measure and understand moviegoers' views surrounding the biggest movie weekend – Thanksgiving. The project evaluated over five million tweets over a time period of 11 days and compared the volume around Twilight: Breaking Dawn, to other movies in theaters, such as the next installment of James Bond, Skyfall, Wreck-It Ralph, Flight, and The Man with the Iron Fists, all of which opened one to two weeks prior to Twilight. The analysis also included sentiment around new Thanksgiving weekend releases including Life of Pi, Red Dawn, and Rise of the Guardians. On Sunday, November 25, Box Office Mojo revealed Twilight generated approximately $64 million in ticket sales over the holiday weekend (Wednesday-Sunday) – 22 percent of the total revenue for the biggest Hollywood holiday weekend on record. The Twitter results over the 11 days offered a different perspective:
- Despite leading the pack with 4.25 million tweets compared to runner up Skyfall with 700,000, Twilight's positive sentiment dropped from 90 percent at pre-release to 75 percent on Saturday, November 24. Some of the tweeted words were perceived as negative – not necessarily towards the movie, but the majority captured moviegoer "sadness" that the series was ending.
- Skyfall maintained a sentiment ratio of 9:1, receiving consistent positive tweets, and shared similar results to weekend newcomers Red Dawn (96 percent positive average), Life of Pi (91 percent) and Rise of the Guardians at 99 percent.
- On Thanksgiving Day, Rise of the Guardians generated the highest number of positive tweets, followed by The Man with the Iron Fists and Red Dawn.
- Flight, starring "Oscar" contender Denzel Washington received only 6,410 tweets, but most recorded tweets were positive.
- On opening day, Twilight received over a million tweets, 78 percent expressed positive sentiment. The majority of the remaining sentiment reflected the audiences' emotional reaction to the "tear-jerking" moments in the movie – so not necessarily negative.
- Rob Friedman, Co-Chairman of Lionsgate Motion Picture Group
- Professor Jonathan Taplin, Director of the Annenberg Innovation Lab, USC
- Kevin Driscoll, PhD candidate at the Annenberg School of Communication and Journalism
- Steve Canepa, General Manager, IBM Media & Entertainment Group
- David Barnes, Director of Emerging Technologies, IBM Software Group
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV