BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- If Friday was any indication, today's Cyber Monday sales should be record breaking. While the Fiscal Cliff continues to close in, there was a silver lining in the record $59 billion in sales that shoppers spent over Black Friday weekend.
Consumers' willingness to part with cash is a valuable economic statistic -- even if it's not quite as exciting as the gloom and doom of the fiscal cliff. But investors certainly took their cues from the Black Friday deals last week: the S&P 500 rallied 3.62% during last week's shortened trading, a very strong showing that pushed the big index's year-to-date gains back above 10%.
More importantly, last week's action looks technically like a key reversal, putting an end to the correction that's been eating away at open gains since mid-September. So, even though Mr. Market is in correction mode this morning, it looks like we're back in a buying zone for stocks. That's why we're taking a closer look at five new Rocket Stocks to start the week.For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 178 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 74.91%. >>5 Stocks Insiders Are Snapping Up Without further ado, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV