Genzyme, a Sanofi company (EURONEXT: SAN and NYSE: SNY), today announced the recipients of the 2012 Gaucher Generation Program awards, an annual program in its fifth year that awards scientists and clinicians engaged in innovative Gaucher disease research.
Genzyme’s Gaucher Generation program provides funding to researchers throughout the world to stimulate and support the advancement of medical knowledge in Gaucher disease. An independent committee of international Gaucher disease experts reviewed the research proposals and selected the most meritorious applications. This year, two “New Investigator Awards” were given, with each recipient receiving $100,000 over two years, as well as one “Established Investigator Award” with an award of $150,000 over two years.
“The Gaucher Generation Program represents Genzyme’s ongoing commitment to enhance care and support of the global Gaucher community, with the ultimate goal of transforming the lives of patients,” said Genzyme’s Senior Vice President and Head of Rare Diseases, Rogerio Vivaldi, MD. “As world-renowned thought leaders, each of these recipients will make a meaningful contribution to further the understanding of Gaucher disease. Genzyme has been committed to serving the Gaucher community for over 20 years, and we are proud to support these award recipients in their important work.”
This year’s recipients are:New Investigator Awards:
- Gustavo Tiscornia, PhD, Assistant Professor in the Department of Biomedical Sciences and Medicine and Center for Molecular and Structural Biomedicine at the University of Algarve, Faro, Portugal. Dr. Tiscornia’s project is entitled “Development of an induced pluripotent stem cell model of neuronopathic Gaucher’s Disease for investigating mechanisms of pathogenesis and small molecule testing.” Dr. Tiscornia will focus on the use of stem cells to study Gaucher disease type 2, which involves the nervous system.
- Elena Pavlova, MD, PhD, Addenbrooke’s Hospital, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK. In Dr. Pavlova’s project entitled, “Lymphoma in Gaucher disease – studies of causation and potential cure,” she will focus her efforts to better understand why patients with Gaucher disease have an increased risk of cancer.
- Pramod K Mistry, MD, PhD, Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine, Chief, Pediatric Hepatology, and Director, National Gaucher Disease Treatment Center at Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Conn., USA. Dr. Mistry’s project is entitled “Studies to delineate specific phenotypes of Gaucher disease and decipher respective biomarker signatures and genetic underpinnings.” Dr. Mistry will seek to better understand how genes impact clinical and biochemical manifestations in patients with Gaucher disease.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV