- President Obama's insistence that marginal tax rates rise for individuals making over $200,000 a year, and for couples earning $250,000. Some conservative political pundits have cheerfully pointed out that the GOP may wish to give in on this point, since "protecting the rich" from tax increases doesn't seem to be helping the Republicans win elections.
- Elimination of deductions and tax loopholes. Guggenheim's senior political analyst Chris Krueger said in the Nov. 21 report that a different way to soak higher-income tax payers could be possible, "if effective rates (capping and/or limiting deductions) will be enough for Democrats, or if statutory rates (reverting back to 39.6% for those households making over $250K) will be required."
- Entitlement reform. Krueger said that "what is missed by several media organizations who run headlines similar to 'Republicans Willing to Deal on Revenue' is the IF in that pledge." Krueger, who said "there is bi-partisan support to cut the providers," including hospitals and drug companies, "but beneficiary reform produces a scorched-earth defense for penny one."
- Spending Cuts. There have been no details yet on negotiations over spending cuts, although media reports on defense procurement activities show that the Pentagon is anticipating a major budget reduction.
- Debt ceiling. Here we go again. There's no denying that $16 trillion is a very ugly figure.
Bank of America to Fall Off Cliff, Then Bounce: Analyst
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.