BLUE BELL, Pa., Nov. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- More than a year after Unisys (NYSE: UIS) transitioned the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) to cloud-based Google Apps for Government, agency officials say the new tools have transformed the way they conduct their business and led to increased collaboration and reduced costs.
The GSA awarded a contract to Unisys in late 2010 to install Google Apps for Government, which includes email and collaboration tools. About 17,500 GSA employees began using these tools in June 2011. Since then, GSA estimates it has saved about $2 million and expects another $15 million reduction in IT costs over the next five years.
GSA employees have created and shared more than 274,000 documents in Google Docs, and created more than 500 internal web sites using Google Sites.
GSA also cites a nearly 90 percent reduction in server energy consumption and 85 percent reduction in related carbon emissions. According to estimates by Google, the cost savings from this reduction in energy use will be $285,000 annually.Examples of how Google Apps has transformed the agency were illustrated by the experiences of two GSA organizations: the Federal Systems Integration and Management Center (FEDSIM) and the Public Building Service (PBS). FEDSIM FEDSIM, the GSA organization that provides acquisition services to enable large-scale technology projects for other federal agencies, has used Google Apps to promote the mobility of its workforce. Many FEDSIM employees must work remotely at client sites, and Google Apps allows them to use their smartphones and tablets to stay in touch with their managers, edit documents and to view their colleagues' calendars. The video chat functionality in Google Apps helps employees reduce travel expenses while still allowing them to collaborate "face-to-face."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV