The primary endpoint was stringently defined as the complete cure rate at Week 52, which means that the target nail showed no clinical involvement and no evidence of fungus present by both KOH testing and by a negative fungal culture.
In both studies, the primary endpoint of complete cure was statistically significant ( P < .001) in favor of efinaconazole topical solution 10%. In Study 1, 17.8% of subjects treated with efinaconazole were completely cured compared to only 3.3% of subjects treated with vehicle. In Study 2, 15.2% of subjects treated with efinaconazole were completely cured compared to only 5.5% of subjects treated with vehicle. Although no head-to-head studies have been conducted, these results are comparable to that reported with oral treatment of onychomycosis.
Both studies also found that mycologic cure rates were also statistically significant ( P < .001) in favor of efinaconazole topical solution 10%. In Study 1, 55.2% of subjects treated with efinaconazole demonstrated mycologic cure compared to only 16.8% of subjects treated with vehicle. In Study 2, 53.4% of subjects treated with efinaconazole demonstrated mycologic cure compared to only 16.9% of subjects treated with vehicle. Given that healthy toenails can take 78 weeks to grow completely, it is not surprising that mycologic cure rates are greater than complete cure rates. In addition, more patients treated with efinaconazole (Study 1: 26.4% and Study 2: 23.4%) achieved a complete or almost complete cure ( <5% clinical involvement and mycologic cure) compared with vehicle (Study 1: 7.0% and Study 2: 7.5%; both P <.001).
The adverse events that were reported were generally mild and transient and were similar between subjects treated with efinaconazole solution 10% and vehicle. Local site reactions were infrequently reported (e.g., dermatitis), and appeared to be more likely to occur with efinaconazole treatment (2%).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV