New app set to transform delivery of employee health and wellness services
Nov. 26, 2012
/CNW/ - There's a new app in town that makes accessing a
range of health and wellness services as easy as touching a screen.
Homewood Human Solutions, a recognized industry leader in organizational health, employee wellness programs and Employee and Family Assistance Programs, announced today the release of the industry's most comprehensive app —
"Our clients have told us that they're struggling with the increasing demands of work and home and need our services — but they're often too busy to access them," says
, CEO for Homewood Human Solutions. "
is designed for mobile searching for health information to help make people's lives a little less stressful. They can browse our library while on the bus home or quickly request face-to-face services while waiting for their lunch order."
What Thompson is hearing from customers is reflected in a new study by
University of Western Ontario
National Study on Balancing Work and Caregiving in Canada
found that almost two-thirds of Canadians are working more than 45 hours a week — 50 percent more than two decades ago. Work weeks are becoming more rigid, with flex-time arrangements dropping by a third in the past 10 years. So it's not surprising that about 60 percent of people are using the convenience of the Internet to get their healthcare information.
"Persistently high levels of stress among such a large segment of the workforce is problematic for both employers and our healthcare system," continues Thompson. "Increased stress means more mental health issues such as depression and anxiety. These already cost employers about
annually and account for three-quarters of short-term disability claims in
. Our new app is one approach to help alleviate this challenge."
includes the following key features:
- An extensive collection of streaming videos and podcasts, specifically created for e-AP on such subjects as relaxation and reducing tension, visualization, caregiving and work-life balance, building self-confidence, working after retirement, anger management, and addiction.
- Expert written articles on parenting, nutrition, physical and emotional wellbeing, legal and financial issues, retirement, workplace issues, as well as information for people leaders.
- Interactive tools that help with decision-making for physical, mental and lifestyle improvement goals including quizzes, checklists, and action planners. (e.g. parenting skills assessment, nutrition quiz, childcare checklist and anxiety self-assessment).
- Mobile requests to access counselling, and pathways to Assistance Program e-services (e.g. e-Courses, health improvement planning tools, child and eldercare locators).
- Detailed Assistance Program information to help with workplace planning and decision-making.
- Mobile integration of social media sites with direct links to Homewood Human Solutions' Healthy Workplaces blog, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Making the app even more attractive is that it offers bilingual access. A single download automatically displays the user's preferred language (English or French). Accessing health and wellness has never been easier!