Greek Protesters March Against Mining Projects
THESSALONIKI, Greece (AP) â¿¿ About 3,000 protesters have marched in the northern Greek city in protest against what they claim are environment-threatening gold mining projects.
Riot police barred the protesters' intended route to the Canadian Consulate on Saturday, but no incidents were reported.
Canadian company Eldorado Gold Corp. is involved in four gold mining projects, all in northern Greece. Three of them are at the planning stage. The fourth, and biggest, in the Halkidiki peninsula, had been pursued a decade ago by another Canadian company, TVX, but was cancelled.
Opponents of the projects include owners of houses rented to tourists, environmentalists and leftist activists opposed to any foreign investment. Local communities have been bitterly divided, with many residents hoping to benefit from the more than 1,000 jobs that the investors say would be created.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV