Then there is the technical picture. When European Central Bank chief Mario Draghi proclaimed in July that he would do whatever it takes to save the euro, European assets like EWQ hit a series (July, August, September) of "higher lows." That is a bullish pattern for stocks. In contrast, shortly after Draghi announced the specifics of the ECB's plans in September, EWQ has been hitting a series (September, October, November) of "lower highs." That is a bearish pattern for stocks.
While I continue to hitch my cart to Asia Pacific ETFs for "foreign exposure," I recognize that some ETF investors still want access to great European companies like Unilever (UL), Sanofi-Aventis (SNY) and Moet Hennessy Louis Vitton (LVMUY).
If you feel the urge, then I advise using a currency hedged vehicle like WisdomTree European Hedged Equity (HEDJ).This exchange-traded fund is hedged such that you can expect higher returns than a similar non-currency hedged investment like EWQ... assuming the value of the dollar is increasing relative to that of the euro. Right now this is precisely what is happening. HEDJ is roughly 1% off its 52-week highs whereas EWQ is closer to 5% off its peak. Follow @ETFexpert This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV