One result of this year's drought, the worst in decades, has been a big drop in water levels on both the Mississippi and Missouri rivers.
The Corps of Engineers office in Omaha, Neb., announced earlier this month plans to reduce the outflow from the Gavins Point Dam near Yankton, S.D. Corps spokeswoman Monique Farmer told The Associated Press that the reduction began as scheduled Friday morning. By late-morning, the flow that had started at 37,500 cubic feet per second had been cut to 35,500 cubic feet per second.
Research In Motion shares climbTORONTO (AP) â¿¿ Shares of Research in Motion Ltd. jumped nearly 14 percent Friday as investors seemingly grew more optimistic about a February launch of the Canadian company's much-delayed BlackBerry 10 smartphones. RIM will release the latest version of its smartphone "not too long" after a Jan. 30 launch event, Kristian Tear, the company's chief operating officer, has said. The new phones are seen as critical to RIM's survival as the smartphone pioneer struggles in North America to hold on to customers who are abandoning BlackBerrys for flashier iPhones and Android phones. RIM shares on the Nasdaq closed up $1.41, or nearly 14 percent, to $11.67 Friday in an abbreviated trading session on Wall Street. ___ By The Associated Press(equals) The Dow Jones industrial average gained 172.79, or 1.4 percent, to 13,009.69. The S&P 500 added 18.12, or 1.3 percent, to 1409.15. The Nasdaq ended up 40.30 points, or 1.4 percent, at 2,966.85. Benchmark crude ended the trading day up 90 cents to $88.28 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Brent, which is used to price international varieties of oil, was up 83 cents to $111.38 a barrel. Wholesale gasoline lost nearly 6 cents to end at $2.7439 a gallon. Natural gas lost 0.2 cents to end at $3.901 per 1,000 cubic feet. Heating oil was up 5 cents to end at $3.0771 a gallon.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV