Why Must We Buy? Black Friday's Powerful Pull
"Our family is here," said Bredholt, who works for a health-care company. "With five guys on one mattress, you gotta be family."
Karen Jefferson, 49, also has found family on line at Best Buy, beyond her husband and three children. She was there Wednesday, seated on a folding chair, clutching a rolled-up circular.
"I'm missing Thanksgiving, and my husband thinks I'm crazy," said Jefferson, who works at a mortgage insurance company. "But I do this every year . because I enjoy meeting people and the people that come when I do. I mean, you see the same people year after year. And I do get some very good deals."
What about studies that have shown better deals are available at other times of the year?"Oh, really?" Jefferson said. "You just think, Black Friday! Oh, my gosh, that's the deal of the year." "Maybe that's something I need to look into," she continued. "Because, I mean, if these aren't good deals, then what are we DOING then?" __ Jesse Washington can be reached at http://twitter.com/jessewashington or jwashington(at)ap.org. ___ AP National Writer Allen Breed in Raleigh, N.C., contributed to this report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV